Tuesday, August 5, 2014

OPIE IS HOME!!!!

Ok sorry this is a few days late, but I was so excited finally bringing Opie home and helping him to settle in, that this post got delayed! I will try to summarize the past few days in one post! Bear with me though the excitement! ;)

Sunday- I went to the breeders to go pick Opie up at 2:00. We hung out and chatted for a while and I finally got to meet Opie! He wasn't so sure of me at first, and was pretty flighty. The breeder had just clipped his wings that morning, so not sure how much of that had to do with it or not. Opie did pretty well for stepping up, but mainly just wanted to sit on his cage. When it was time to go he went right into the carrier I had set up for him. This was the carrier I got him. I swapped out the perch for a natural one (thought it would be easier to grip and the one that came with slid around a bit). I also added a toy, and a spray of millet. He immediately began snacking on the millet, so I knew he wasn't too stressed! In fact, Opie snacked the whole way home in the car! Once we got home, I put him in his new cage, and gave him the afternoon to settle in. Before bed I hand fed Opie some chop (which he ate some of) and a dried raspberry which he loved!

Monday- In the morning I offered Opie some chopped up grapes, sprouts, and topped them with a few pieces of organic bee pollen granules. He would only try what I offered by hand, but did try the grapes, and LOVED the sprouts! I tried to have him step up, but he bit me so we just practiced a technique called "gentle beak" for a while and he calmed right down. I hand fed him a Nutriberry which he loved as a reward.

At lunch time I swapped out his fresh foods, for a new bowl which included some birdy bread, and chop. Still Opie will only eat what I hand feed him. The only thing he has eaten on his own is his millet spray. At this time Opie was more than happy to come out for a few minutes, and even let me give him some scritches!

After dinner, I let Opie out, and he was happy to step up for me. He did fly around the room a bit, but each time he did, once he landed he was more than happy to step up for me. I brought him over to his play stand which he went right on. He hung out on his play sand for quite a while! I just sat next to him and talked to him. Before bed he ate another dried raspberry and let me give him some scritches again!

Today (Tues)- This morning Opie had a breakfast of cooked oatmeal and mashed up bananas which he went crazy for! I had to eat some too, but he was more than willing to try once I had! Even from the bowl this time!! After breakfast we spent a lot of time out. Him on his play stand while I answered emails. After about a hour, he decided he wanted his cage and flew over. He took a nap for a while, then later I let him out again.

This time I just opened the door and he flew over after a while. Not directly to me, but towards my chair (right by his cage). We have now been hanging out the whole time I typed this! He has enjoyed some more scritches and has gotten really vocal for the first time! I love his chatter!

I am already so smitten by this little guy it isn't even funny! I can't wait to continue to bond with him! He is a bit flighty, but with patience (and short training intervals - he will start looking like he is going to take off when he is done), I think we will be great friends!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment