Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Sprouts

Since I really want to offer a healthy and varied diet, I decided to try sprouts! They are very similar to what many birds would be foraging for in the wild, and are very healthy for them nutritionally. After shopping around, I ordered a bag of Lil Bird Sprout Mix from Sprout People which is a mix specifically for smaller birds with 27 (YES 27) different varieties of certified organic seeds! 

I have tons of mason jars around here already, so ordered a BPA free sprouting lid off of Amazon (here) to fit a wide mouth jar to be my sprouter. Once everything came in I followed the very detailed instructions from Sprout People which you can read here. The only thing I did a bit differently is add one or two drops of GSE aka Grapefruit Seed Extract to the water for the initial soak. GSE is a natural disinfectant which is bird safe. *Look for a post on GSE soon!

Anyways, everything went perfectly, and in a few days I had some beautiful sprouts! At first Opie wouldn't touch them, but like with all new foods, he was willing to try them IF and only IF I hand fed him. Once he tried them he was hooked though! I have been offering them about every other day, usually as a topping to his chop. I couldn't be happier with the seeds from Sprout People and will surely buy them again when my pound runs out! 


No comments:

Post a Comment